Turrets

A quieter space for design discussion of long-term projects
baobobafet

Re: Turrets

Post by baobobafet »

Turret variants should probably have some with stout profiles for instances where optimal aerodynamics might be preserved. (or pop-out variants extending out of the hull or weapons bay only when fired)

Here's a quick mockup with an enlarged dome that could house a laser weapon, optical telescope other sensor apparatus.

baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

One more, this has the gun/sensor mechanism with a rotating cowling so that when the turret is positioned facing rearward any potential aerodynamic resistance is minimized.

FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Turrets have a default/initial alignment so it shouldn't be too difficult to make them return to that orientation.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

So should this be a different ship, like a "Heavy Wave" (Tsunami?), or is the turret a ship equipment you buy and fit to any Wave?
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

The first version, i.e: the current PR, just attaches one mesh (the turret) to a ship at a named turret locator like "tag_turret_0".
You have to define what turret mesh, what tag and what weapon to use (the weapon does nothing for now).

Some of this stuff is to be implemented later but the idea was that you can start to build up the models, meshes, etc and see them in game rather than baking the geometry directly into the mesh as you currently have to do.
Then when we add the targetting functionality later on it should just magically start to work without any updating of the ships/turrets etc.
DraQ

Post by DraQ »

I think we need two different turret setups.

One using polar coordinates, for all lateral, dorsal and ventral turrets, and one using regular pitch and yaw for turrets mounted in directional mounts (forward and rear facing). Each type would just look weird using the other coordinate system.

We also should consider what a turret is meant to be in terms of equipment.
I think the directional mounts turrets should be self contained weapon systems that would be mounted on normal weapon mounts and would be able to track locked targets within certain cone around mount's normal firing direction. Other than that they would be standard weapon variants, but heavier.

The lateral ones, OTOH would (IMO) benefit from being specialized type of weapon mounts capable of mounting any weapon, maybe even sub-hulls with multiple hardpoints. They should have slower tracking (to justify the possibility of fitting self contained turrets on them as weapons).

It may seem convoluted, but I can't think of any other solution that would permit gimballed weapons on forward and rear mounts (and I think those are worth having for some loadouts) and wouldn't turn into a mess of redundant weapon types and arbitrary restrictions.

As for manual aiming, I think it might be worth considering, at least for the second type of turrets, because it might find use for large multi-crewed ships, by allowing either player or NPC crewmembers to man the turrets while the remaining crew is piloting the ship.

I also think the current hardpoint system needs redesign. It wasn't one of the better parts of Frontier and it doesn't help us here either. Pioneer would benefit from more weapon types, more missiles and ability to fit more, possibly different weapons firing in particular direction. Single weapon for given facing + several full ton missiles just doesn't cut it.