Early Oculus Rift support.

A quieter space for design discussion of long-term projects
FluffyFreak

Early Oculus Rift support.

Post by FluffyFreak »

Since we have 3D cockpits I thought I'd port back my Oculus Rift support from Luomu's SSP (Summer Side Project) from last year.
https://github.com/fluffyfreak/pioneer/tree/LibOVR

It's very WIP and a broken in some ways, mostly anything 2D - I've also just discovered that it hangs when displaying a ship in the shipyard :/

It does however work very nicely with the Oculus :) http://quantum-thoughts.net/?p=1500
FluffyFreak

Re: Early Oculus Rift support.

Post by FluffyFreak »

My first thought about how to deal with the 2D stuff is render it all to a texture and display it on a 3D Quad in the world whilst continuing to display the "worldview" mode and draw a mouse cursor within that 2D window.
That would work for the new UI views anyway since the "view" class is just providing a wrapper around it and it seems like the UI should work anywhere without it.

The older "View" implementations are more of a problem, things like; Sector, System, Galaxy etc.

Going to try something like this as and when I get time
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

robn

Post by robn »

FluffyFreak wrote:My first thought about how to deal with the 2D stuff is render it all to a texture and display it on a 3D Quad in the world whilst continuing to display the "worldview" mode and draw a mouse cursor within that 2D window.
That would probably work pretty well.

Once everything is on the new UI I'm planning to experiment with making the world rendering a permanent background with even things like the station screens etc rendered semi-opaquely over the top. Not unlike this (an old libRocket test):

I seem to recall that Luomu did an experiment to add a blur-postprocess with the new UI over the top. I can't find the screenshot right now, but the code is probably kicking around on a branch.

Honestly though, its not that hard. You could probably have half of it knocked together in the time its taken you to read this :)
That would work for the new UI views anyway since the "view" class is just providing a wrapper around it and it seems like the UI should work anywhere without it.
UIView is a transitional hack to allow the old and new UIs to coexist. It will go away when the old UI goes too.
The older "View" implementations are more of a problem, things like; Sector, System, Galaxy etc.
Yeah, I'd just ignore them for now if you can. I'm really wanting to get rid of the lot as soon as possible. I was going to do those next and WorldView but the cockpit stuff has flipped that order around, so its WorldView next.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgP7dei0hzc - clearly great minds think alike... this makes me a "great mind" :D

Honestly it's the simplest answer to the problem, render as before, use as texture on a big quad or piece of curve patch (bent quad) in 3D space. Good enough for Valve? Good enough for me!
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Did another video of me testing rendering the Intro screen onto a quad in the scene.
Totally hacky but I am only trying to figure these things out right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEHDES7PQ9g

@nozmajner - I think I'm going to need a fuller cockpit for some of these videos ;)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Yeah, that cockpit only covers the bare minimum right now.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Prepare to cross-post, BEGIN cross-posting! ->
Ok two more +Pioneer Space Sim and +Oculus VR integration experiments.
First is just the Intro Menu sequence with the soft-mouse by robns : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y17kZeTi ... e=youtu.be

The second is of me nearly flying into a mountain because I'm not positioning the GUI/HUD quad correctly and it's offset... slightly, what really matters though is that the ingame UI is really being rendered onto that quad making it almost usable at last! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upIRQsx3 ... e=youtu.be
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

I'll probably not get an Oculus Rift, but those videos are really trippy when I do the 'cross your eyes to see the phantom 3D image in the center' thing!
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I wouldn't recommend one of the dev' kits to anyone other than a developer who is actually just trying to stay ahead of the curve on VR.
However the whole thing is mind blowing, I just took off, flew through on of our cities and then up the side of the mountain (near Earth start pos) and it's amazing the feeling of being there in some way.

The resolution on the dev' kit is far too low, the screen door effect is terrible and there's no positional tracking except what you simulate but honestly if they offred up the Cyrstal Cove prototype for £400-600 I'd buy it without a second thought even though I can't really afford it :) It's... completely unique.

If you get the chance to try it out then do.