3D cockpits

A quieter space for design discussion of long-term projects
eloquentmess

Re: 3D cockpits

Post by eloquentmess »

Having worked on military aircraft during my time in the U.S. Navy, I think that the Rogue System level of detail (seen in the video) is incredible, and awesome.

That being said, I never want to play that game, because I don't want to have to sit around all day clicking switches and throwing breakers and doing all that work just to get off the ground. I am not a pilot. I just want to fly.

I don't think that level of detail is necessary in 3D cockpits. We could easily keep the current key configs and just make dynamic textures on various instrument panel faces (to replace the current scanner and show fuel levels, etc.).
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I've dusted this a bit, and started to work on the cockpit for Sinonatrix (being a starter ship makes it a good candidate).
It's quite rudimentary right now, but shows the limited view an OPLI ship can provide with the typical intruded cockpit design. I'm liking it because it shows, how important ergonomics is for OPLI Barnards, and adds another incentive to upgrade to a better ship. (OPLI ships supposed to be on the lower end regarding design and quality)
I've noticed a bug about cockpits. The game doesn't realizes right away that it should show a different cockpit, until you turn it off and on again. Already posted a report about it, above mod included.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I hear and I obey! Bug fixed :)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

nozmajner, I've been playing some FSX and you can look around the cockpit in increments using the numpad.

We could do something similar for our cockpits, or use mouselook as well as zoom in/out to adjust the FOV.
Later on when we've got Oculus Rift / TrackIR support you'll be able to look around freely but it's just something to consider.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Yeah, looking around would be nice for sure, especially for those ships that have proper view to the sides. :) Another incentive to upgrade form your clunky OPLI cropduster.
Mouselook seems more handy for me. I think the numpad keys might want to stay the way they currently work, with predefined directions, like if they were camera feeds.

I played the newer build of FlightGear, and it's mouselook implementation improved a lot. (And it's fun to fly your usual commute and realize you could be at work in 16 minutes instead of two hours :D )
Edit: You will hate me ( :) ), but I noticed that the cockpit initialization now works fine with your fix, and the Sinonatrix has it's intended cockpit, but the dynamic movement of the cockpit during turns isn't working, until you disable and enable cockpits.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Bah humbug, no hatred, just another bug to fix :)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Actually are you (/is everyone) ok with the cockpit movement because a while back we were planning on removing it from Pioneer.

I still think it's probably best if we took it out as it's a bit buggy and quite excessive, it feels tacky to me personally and that we would be better off with the ability to look around the cockpit from a fixed (seated?) position like in a traditional flight-sim.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

It adds to the overall feel and sense of movement in my opinion. The cockpit feels quite static and 2D for me without it.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I can't reproduce that cockpit bug you mentioned, it seems ok to me, but then the whole thing seems quite static in a lot of situations whichever cockpit it's set to use.

it's only once I'm out in space and travelling quite fast that it really starts to move around a lot, too much in my opinion.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Given what project I'm working on there's several good resources, or possibly goals, for doing things like the cockpits in FSX-SE and other flight simulators where there is no HUD at all and everything is within the virtual cockpit itself as instruments.