Would it be long to do?

DynV

Would it be long to do?

Post by DynV »

I forgot everything but the basics about programming but I'm wondering how long it would take me to make a mod to make scoop missions items labeled unknown into something else, possibly randomly, and preferably by either
  1. having a worker with sufficient engineering % or
  2. docking at a station with a high enough technology certificate, preferably by paying to do so
but it doesn't need to be so and could simply be that picking up an unknown doesn't store it and instead a commodity is stored and a comm is made reflecting so (ie The unknown object was X).

If this would be complicated, even in its most basic form (after list above), maybe I'll think of something else in the future I'd consider making, which would also be something I suspect was possible to do < 4 hrs.

As the email notification doesn't seem to work, if I take a long time to reply and one would like a quick reply, I could reach through my discord account DynV#6231 or emailing dynvec@gmail.com
impaktor

Re: Would it be long to do?

Post by impaktor »

If you want to get into mods, start by perhaps browsing a lua-tutorial, then look at some simpler scripts, like "Donate to cranks", or "Advice".
Then look at "DeliverPackage", and "CargoRun", for making custom cargo. (you'll find them all in data/modules/).

I doubt you can find anything useful to do in under 4 hours, unless you know the code base. Start with baby steps.
DynV

Post by DynV »

Is there any useful mod, even slightly, I could do within 4 hrs? The reason I insist on a mod is I have no intention on upgrading my game until the next main/official/stable release. Neither "Donate to cranks" nor "Advice" sound useful to me, but perhaps I'm wrong.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

The point with those two modules is that they have small code base, so if you want to read code, that's a good place to start. It will show how to make an advert, make a chat dialouge, save a module.

DeliverPackage shows how to set up a "go to B and before <date> and get money and reputation".
The reason I insist on a mod is
If you move them to your pioneer mod folder, they become "mods", i.e. code in "data/modules" are simply "mods" that we include in the game.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

As the email notification doesn't seem to work, if I take a long time to reply and one would like a quick reply
How about now?
DynV

Post by DynV »

impaktor wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:58 pm
As the email notification doesn't seem to work, if I take a long time to reply and one would like a quick reply
How about now?
Yes. :)