Graphics updated to GL 4.5

CMDR ARGHouse

Graphics updated to GL 4.5

Post by CMDR ARGHouse »

Hi, I just successfully built the latest source of pioneer, replaced GL 3.2 with 4.5. Major renderer is now 4.x, minor renderer is 3.x. All working smoothly, not sure if I am seeing any differences, I'll load up the official release tonight and get screenshots of both the GL 3 and GL 4 versions.

For those with GPUs yet uncapable of handling GL 4.x I shall be commiting this to my fork of Pioneer as to avoid compatibility issues.
CMDR ARGHouse

Re: Graphics updated to GL 4.5

Post by CMDR ARGHouse »

Not noticing major changes yet.
Also the version may be 4.3 rather than 4.5, according to the openGL text file.
sturnclaw

Re: Graphics updated to GL 4.5

Post by sturnclaw »

I appreciate the zeal in this regard, but I must sadly inform you that changing the version number does basically nothing - OpenGL contexts are backwards compatible and so you most likely have been running GL 4.5 even though we request GL 3.2, and more importantly there's no difference in graphical quality or render features used. We've been sticking with GL 3.2 so that older hardware "knows" that it can run Pioneer and because we don't actually use any of the newer features required by the newer standard versions; as we incrementally upgrade the rendering techniques and required features, we'll bump the version number or add more required extensions as needed.