galaxy_dense bitmap issues

CMDR ARGHouse

galaxy_dense bitmap issues

Post by CMDR ARGHouse »

Hi, I've been trying to replace the vanilla galaxy_dense map with my own, and ran into various issues. I am trying to replace it with something from 512 to about 2048 pixels, I have tried to change the values in one_over_256 to the corresponding image dimensions, I even reduced my replacement map to 256 and indexed the colors, still did not work? Is there something I am missing?
impaktor

Re: galaxy_dense bitmap issues

Post by impaktor »

I haven't looked at that code, but I assume width and height might be hard coded.
What is it you expect will happen when you replace the galaxy map?

It's effect will only really be visible when zooming out more than what is possible atm, I think (link from Gliese852):
https://imgur.com/a/VkDAaRd
CMDR ARGHouse

Post by CMDR ARGHouse »

Well I can see why the galaxy map was removed, no point in having it if sector view is upgraded to display the whole galaxy.
CMDR ARGHouse

Post by CMDR ARGHouse »

How did Gliese852 do that BTW, I just tried to increase the FAR_MAX to 1024, almost nailed it by changing the threshold, but caused a crash whenever I made the number smaller than 7.5 .
CMDR ARGHouse

Post by CMDR ARGHouse »

Okay kinda got it working (The zoom out zoom in thing), had to start a new game, not as efficient on processing though.
Last edited by CMDR ARGHouse on Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Galaxy map view was removed because it was the last screen that used NewUI (see FAQ on the wiki), and we wanted to purge our code base of NewUI, and didn't want to have that as a blocking task preventing us from doing that, and we didn't have the energy / motivation to convert it to Imgui (aka Pigui).

Anyone is free to bring it back, using pigui, but indeed, the idea is to have the feature Gliese demonstrates in that video.

The galaxy file is what is used under the hood for determining star density in galaxy generation.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

How the f@#k did Gliese do that?
sturnclaw

Post by sturnclaw »

Terribly abused the sector cache system and undersampled sectors by a factor of about 100 IIRC... It's a really nice proof of concept but the sector cache system was never meant to do that.
Gliese852

Post by Gliese852 »

I just took not every sector, but one for N sectors (in each dimension), depending on the zoom, but I drew this sector N times large. Thus, at any zoom, approximately the same number of sectors was generated, and a fairly uniform and plausible distribution of stars was drawn.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Brilliant use of it.