Is time for a ships Balance

Nyankosensei

Is time for a ships Balance

Post by Nyankosensei »

now many new ships are in work for pioneer, i think is the moment for do a good rebalance in prices, capacities and ship class based on manufactures for make some standards for the new ships too
nozmajner

Re: Is time for a ships Balance

Post by nozmajner »

I thnik you could give it a go.
I'd aim for about 7G for best acceleration, that way combat felt good and manageable (tried with the new Kanara). Keep in mind that you need at least 1g and a bit more retro and up thrust to be able to land/takeoff on Earth (especially with autopilot with it's retro suicide burn method), and a bit more for larger planets.
I'd keep at least about 7-8000 km/s deltaV for long range ships, lower values make interplanetary flight too long. (like in my rebalance).
(and don't forget, the 3d print addon needs closed manifold meshes to tell you the correct volumes)
Thy hyperdrive bug is squashed as far as I know, so that's not a limit for anything.
torham2234

Post by torham2234 »

I agree, the sooner we establish a solid framework, the easier it will be to add new ships. I also think that a hyperdrive rebalance is needed. with the realistic ship mass even small ships can go into 200 ton total weight, something that would be considered a rather large transport in original Frontier. This results in short ranges for most ships, or very high hyperdrive classes for heavier ships.

Example: the rescaled synonatrix has got a fully loaded mass of 250 ton on launch, despite having only 35 ton cargo space (that includes hyperdrive and all internal equipment). with a mark 3 hyperdrive this gives it a range of just over 22 light years.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

7 g are not too close for cover all ships type ? the max lower forward thrust need to be at least more than 2 g for have a good balance with retro and upper thrust and really i love your rebalance (i use it by default), other point is deltaV, at 7000 km/s is hard cover distances in big systems with 300+ AU radius, i think for 15000-12000 km/s (based on ship type and manufactures) like a fighter have a nice acceleration but lose on fuel compsumation vs a big ship (this make a chance for evade pirates)

Other point is the starting ship, lunar shuttle can become the default with enought money for buy mining stuff or change ship
Last edited by Nyankosensei on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

torham2234 wrote:I also think that a hyperdrive rebalance is needed
I don't agree a lot with this, but first i have to try a 1900 tons ship full loaded (1900 tons i think is the max, becouse you can do a lot of money with 1000 tos of gold, drugs or slaves)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I don't think 7G is that limiting. 6.5G vs 7G is quite a difference when you have to make up for it for example. And for larger ships, especially if they are not atmo capable, lower than 2G could be reasonable too.

DeltaV needs quite a bit of playing around to make it enjoyable, but not utterly ridiculous. Also the intended range of the ship should dictate that too. Like the Amphiesma is aimed to be a low-mid range craft, and the Xylophis is a low range craft. (at least I don't want to sit in a cabin that small for weeks, that's why I'd say that it shouldn't have hyperdrive by default, like the Kanara, but the adventurous/desperate pilot can fit one). And you can bring extra remass too.
In my opinion different crafts should be good for different tasks. Like if you want to go to a 300au large system, then you should have the craft that has enough deltaV to cover that distance in a manageable time.

And I don't think we should limit capacities to 1900 tonnes. It could be more expensive to maintain a ship that large in the future for example. Right now 2000 tonne refuelling costs the same 6cr as 2t for sure, but I hope that will change in the future. And it already costs more to do a jump with a heavier ship, especially if it's fully laden. Even more if you need more jumps to get to your destination.

I'm not sure about hyperdrive rebalance, since you can't really fiddle with the way the game calculates distances. Only with the mass of the craft and class are to your picking. And fuel level of course.
NeuralKernel

Post by NeuralKernel »

For atmo capable craft the other thing to remember is that fuel scooping happens in a Jovian Environment where the "Surface" gravity can potentially be several Gs.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

NeuralKernel wrote:For atmo capable craft the other thing to remember is that fuel scooping happens in a Jovian Environment where the "Surface" gravity can potentially be several Gs.
Agree with that too

Other point need to be cleared , hull resistance is calculated by hull weight ?
TheBob

Post by TheBob »

For atmo capable craft the other thing to remember is that fuel scooping happens in a Jovian Environment where the "Surface" gravity can potentially be several Gs.
Yes, but you don't have to land there. If you go in with decent velocity, there's no trouble getting out again no matter your thrust (especially since we don't have atmospheric friction).
torham2234

Post by torham2234 »

Nyankosensei wrote: Other point need to be cleared , hull resistance is calculated by hull weight ?

I think so. When I was testing the Nerodia, I have accidentally shot a few times with my laser and the police started shooting me. I had so much HP I was basically invincible...