Hey lovely folks! How are you doing?

Evarchart

Hey lovely folks! How are you doing?

Post by Evarchart »

Hi!!

Well, it's been 5 years since I last posted in this forum and just wanted to say a massive hello and I hope you're all doing well during these crazy times!
How are you all doing? Well I hope!
Is the Facegen still giving people nightmares? ;)

A quick update on my life since last we spoke, the last few years have been interesting to say the least. I got divorced, I nearly died...twice (both down to DVTs and embolisms, I was made redundant from my job....and those were the highlights!
I am STILL working on that game for Amiga, 5 years and counting! It is my finest graphical work so far, my best pixels! (google Scourge of the Underkind to see more)
I have always wondered how you guys were doing and if someone else had successfully picked up the facegen job!

I'd love to know how it's all going. I will of course be downloading the latest build to play...it has changed so much since I last played!

:) :)
impaktor

Re: Hey lovely folks! How are you doing?

Post by impaktor »

Hey!
I'm very glad to see you back here!
is the Facegen still giving people nightmares? ;)
Yes, to such a degree we had to create a whole sub-forum for it: viewforum.php?f=8

Few months go by without someone (usually nozmajner) grumbling over the pitiful state of the face gen assets.

I've been following your work on EAB for a few years, so you haven't been off our radar.

Sad to hear you've been down on your luck, but good to hear you're still alive, and have us somewhere in the back of your mind. We now have a "face part picker" so the player can select each face part/asset, instead of relying on the random generator. I'd love to see your work finished in pioneer, but I think the faces were all skewed to "hard-ass tough-guy male", we need some more female faces, before it could go into the master branch of the main source repository, I think. (and if they're good, we don't need nearly as many assets as there currently are in the game.)
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

Ahh! It's cool! It was only after I had done them that I realised it was only males :/
I actually realise now that I am rubbish at drawing females!

I too would love to see my assets in the game, maybe one day, you never know :)
I just wanted to stop by and say hi, wish you all well and see how the game has evolved :)
Maybe one day I will be able to return to the job and do a better version of it (my skills have improved).

Keep on truckin'!
Stay safe!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Hey hey!
Glad hearing from you, and hope you get out of the rough spots soon!
I was glancing on your stuff too from time to time, on your youtube. Looking nice! :)
The facegen is still a sour spot for me, but haven't yet mustered up the energy to do anything about it. My thoughts veer back to it about quarterly, especially when I realize that I should draw more. But would love having your stuff in the game for sure!
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I can imagine that the Facegen is a real pain to contend with.
I also think about it often, about how I wished I could have done all of the things I originally intended to do.
I am glad the game is still evolving though :)

I'll keep stopping by to say hello though, I have always loved how this game has evolved over time. You're all so bloody talented!
:)
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Did you manage to get a new pioneer downloaded & run?

We've moved 98% of the game to a new UI library. It's really great to work with, so in a pretty short time (a few months?) a lot of the "blue" station screens were moved, now we're almost done.

Please keep up the contact, very happy to see you back here!
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I haven't tried the newest build yet. I really must!
I will download it and try it out over the next few days.

It sounds like you have been making enormous progress!
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I downloaded it and tried it out. Wow, it's almost unrecognisable since the last time I played it!
well done!