Spiffor

Re: Custom systems

Post by Spiffor »

Thanks Impaktor, I've updated the system's description and the PR :+1:
Spiffor

Ross154

Post by Spiffor »

New system done :)

As usual, any comments are welcome! The system has been fully tested and should work without problems by downloading the spiffor_systems.zip modfile to your \pioneer\mods folder.

Ross 154

Faction: SolFed
Short Description: Civilian research facilities.

Long description:
Ross 154 may look like a typical red star, but is uncommon in that it hosts several planets in its habitable zone, whose mass and gravity would make them suitable for an earth-like atmosphere. This is why the Solar Federation decided to locate here its "Mass Type-M Terraforming Research Project", or MTMRP for short.
It took some debate in the Houses of Parliament to fund this project. After all, mankind started terraforming Mars about a millenieum ago, and the process is common knowledge -a "child’s play" according to some Members of Parliament.
Indeed, the base principles discovered by our distant forefathers are still the basics of the terraforming process in present day. They have been refined over the course of history and past mistakes have been learned from, like the failure of 61 Cygni. But the problems from yesteryear are still real to this day: terraforming a planet is very resource intensive, takes a very long time, and is extremely delicate.
The MTMRP, nicknamed "Life bomb project", aims to revolution the terraforming technology. Rather than making step-by-step improvements, the principle is to engineer a planetary catastrophe, so that the environment becomes quickly suitable for human life. Scientists are free to experiment with Ross 154's planets, which are now nicknamed after the various catastrophes they have been subjected to.
Should the project succeed, terraforming could be done fast and cheap. This would benefit those citizens who want to leave overcrowded planets with overpriced real estate. And it would benefit the Federation, as these colonists will move to its core systems rather than to the frontier.
Last edited by Spiffor on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Cool! "Khaaaan!" :)

I guess my only comment is:

"will move to its core systems rather than on the frontier."

Typo? I suggest one of:

"will move to its core systems rather than on to the frontier."
"will move to its core systems rather than to the frontier."

(Maybe I'd possibly remove the leading "And" in "And indeed, the base principles...", but I shouldn't interfere too much).

Keep up the good work!
Spiffor

Post by Spiffor »

Thanks guys!

@WKFO
I didn't know about Star Trek II and its genesis engine, thanks for the link!

@Impaktor
Thanks for the comments, I integrate them in the PR
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

"aims to revolution the terraforming technology"
should be:
"aims to revolutionise terraforming technology" <- NB: UK spelling of revolutionise

All good backstory!
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

@Spiffor/@fluffyfreak, I've pushed the suggested correction. I also changed mode for the files as text files aught not be executable (a distinction perhaps not obvious if on MS Windows).

@Spiffor I should let you know there's a Tortuga system that was never merged... yet. Story behind it is I asked clausimu to finish a system I was making to be a future place for custom pirate-stuff, like super illegal ship equipment for sale on the BBS, etc. I already have a Pirate fuel club written for it: "Gas Guzzler's Gathering" in my pirate branch, but it's three years old now (almost to the day).

If you like, you can review the system and if you think we should have it, you could also add/rewrite the back story, and make what ever additions you like, and open a PR on it.

From the comments in the bottom of the lua-file, it's clear the past-me wouldn't mind a reference to the pirate Threepwood (due to the charracter "Guybrush Threepwood" from the Monkey Island games), and the name Threepwood is sort of real, so can't really be trademarked I think.

Also Zaporizhian Sich is apparently another famous pirate holdout, if we need inspiration. I'd like to see a starport by name "Port Regal" as a reference to Port Royal (or is it too obvious? too "in your face"?), which was a safe harbour for privateers. Now, apparently, past-me thought it a good idea to also have a planet/port called Arkona, but I can't figure out why? Possibly it appears in the Monkey Island game, or it's from a movie or historical site? Google tells me there are bands called that.

Also, it's allowed to be silly, especially for systems that are "hidden" or not part of the main body that the player is likely to fly to.

Anyway, so if you like the system, and want to mess around with it, open a PR, if not, it might be another 3 years for it to go in.
GunChleoc

Post by GunChleoc »

I have been pondering the system names some more - how about having 2 variables, one with an unlocalizable "native name" and one with a localizable "English" name, similar to unit names in 0AD? Then the user could choose which version to display.
Spiffor

Bathlight / 55 Cancri

Post by Spiffor »

With some delay (made a little pause with Pioneer)

New system done :)

As usual, any comments are welcome! The system has been fully tested and should work without problems by downloading the spiffor_systems.zip modfile to your \pioneer\mods folder.

Bathlight / 55 Cancri

Faction: CIW
Short description: Home of a native sentient species.

Long description:
From a human perspective, Bathlight is a fairly young world, settled two centuries ago during the Commonwealth expansion. However, from the perspective of its native lifeforms, Bathlight is as old as the eons.
Indeed, planet Mother's oceans host a highly sentient species. The Voicedeep -also known by their nickname "squid erectus"- experience and communicate a broad array of emotions, far greater than what humans have conceived. Their submarine language also carries very few facts or orders, thus preventing the species from establishing a civilization as we known it.
Early colonists quickly came to appreciate their unexpected neighbours, especially as there was no competition for resources. Motivated by a mix of genuine respect and second thoughts, the colonial government made conservation efforts to preserve the Voicedeep habitat and to emphasize their culture. For example, all natural landmarks are named after their original toponimy, or more accurately their crude translations.
In present day, many people come to Bathlight, convinced that we humans have much to learn from the Voicedeep. The works of Wanjing Traore are the most complete in this regard: by describing her daily life among her submarine friends, she finely translated their jokes and poems, and introduced many new words and concepts in human culture.
As to the Voicedeep, they are certain that there is nothing of value to them that they could possibly learn from us.
Last edited by Spiffor on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiffor

Post by Spiffor »

impaktor wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:17 pm @Spiffor I should let you know there's a Tortuga system that was never merged... yet. Story behind it is I asked clausimu to finish a system I was making to be a future place for custom pirate-stuff, like super illegal ship equipment for sale on the BBS, etc. I already have a Pirate fuel club written for it: "Gas Guzzler's Gathering" in my pirate branch, but it's three years old now (almost to the day).
Well, I was toying with the idea of creating several independant frontier systems, far from Sol.
I thought that might be a starting place for the players who want to see action (at least, who want to see lawless systems) from the start. A pirate system really fits into this place :+1: