Can't get cockpit to show

Shizzai

Can't get cockpit to show

Post by Shizzai »

I asked this on SpaceSimCentral before I came here to bug you guys with it. I have a new download (the newest pre-built release from the site) and started a new game, so I'm in the Sinonatrix. I've tried removing the reference to sinonatrix_cockpit in the ship's JSON file since there is no sinonatrix_cockpit resource (a little odd in itself since it's referenced in the release files), I tried changing it to reference default_cockpit, and I tried the sinonatrix_cockpit_packed WIP mod, and still nothing but viewscreen. I play on a dedicated HOTAS setup, so cockpit view is a make or break thing for me in space sims and I was in love with the earlier iterations of Pioneer and Scout Plus, so I'm hoping to figure this out before giving up on the game. Help a brotha out! :)
Keeper

Re: Can't get cockpit to show

Post by Keeper »

Hit F1 to cycle through views until back to the cockpit view. Then the cockpit shows. The latest build does this for some reason. Luckily it's only a minor nuisance, as you only have to do that view cycle when loading or starting a game. After that it works as expected.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

@Keeper That's not happening on my end. The cockpit displays on new game properly, after landing, I can't get it to disapear. Neither on linux or windows (just checked). Anyhow, please report that on the issue tracker, that's definitely a bug.

@Shizzai: If what Keeper says doesn't bring it back, could you check if the model viewer shows the cockpit?
Run

Code: Select all

pioneer.exe -mv
from command line (or modify a shortcut) and load it from the list that appears. (I'm assuming you are on windows, based on your choice of games)
If the model viewer displays it, could you start the game, start a new game, then exit, and upload the output.txt and opengl.txt from Documents/Pioneer to somewhere and link them? Those might contain some clues on the issue.

Also: the cockpit is purely cosmetic right now, no functionality at all, not even the displays. And if you rotate your head, it will also show that it was made at the time when head rotation wasn't even implemented, and I didn't had the time to finish up the replacement cockpit.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Added to the issue tracker. Turns out I was wrong about it not working on loading saved games; I forgot that I have only been starting new games to test things lately and haven't actually been playing). I have one save that still works in the current version (the other two saves broke apparently from changes to the contract advertising system, judging from the errors), and the cockpit shows just fine when loading that. However, any of the three starting locations begins with an invisible cockpit until I cycle through with F1.

I've been meaning to grey out those purple bits on the right side... If there were a way to toggle mouselook, I really might as I could then perhaps use my head tracker to look around. As it is I never really use the hold-the-mousewheel method (or the track-your-target mode; does that do "head movement" too?).
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

I do wonder if the mistake in the sinonatrix.json file is why I suddenly had the 2D radar active when loading my saved profile. I tried starting a new profile on Earth, which had the 3D radar, then saving a test profile, loading it back up, and it also had the 2D mode active. I removed the nonexistent cockpit reference from the json file and tried again, starting a new profile, saving, then loading it, and that kept the 3D mode. Odd.

I did notice another bug with the new release that seems to be related. When starting a new profile and going straight to the sector view, all options are on even though two of them are not shown as selected (i.e. vertical lines and labels for out-of-range systems). I have to select them then deselect them to turn them off. If I do the switching through the views to get the cockpit back before going to the sector view, everything is fine.
Shizzai

Post by Shizzai »

Keeper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 pm Hit F1 to cycle through views until back to the cockpit view... ...After that it works as expected.
Give me a LITTLE credit ;) That's the first thing I (repeatedly) checked. Cockpit view never showed no matter how many views I scrolled through.
nozmajner wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:36 pm @Shizzai: If what Keeper says doesn't bring it back, could you check if the model viewer shows the cockpit?
(Hello again lol)
Model viewer showed the default cockpit, but there was nothing on the list for the Sinonatrix. I did what you said and here are the Output and OpenGL logs:
Output.txt
OpenGL.txt
nozmajner wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:36 pm Also: the cockpit is purely cosmetic right now...
It's less about functionality and more about immersion. The cockpit used in earlier iterations of Pioneer and the Scout Plus mod didn't do anything but sit there and look pretty either, but it adds so much to the game for me. I use external cams for my outside viewing, so head panning rarely gets used at all.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

A stray idea: check if your config.ini (same place as your output.txt) has a line "EnableCockpit".
If not, then try creating one with the value of 1. Same if it's there, but set to 0.
(Maybe it's not set properly from the settings menu for some reason)
Shizzai

Post by Shizzai »

Was already set to 1 :/
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Then you have to wait for @fluffyfreak to get back. If anybody, he can figure it out I think.
Shizzai

Post by Shizzai »

Thanks for all the help and advice, anyhow!