Compiling Question

MadArkael

Compiling Question

Post by MadArkael »

I used the command line version of msbuild to compile the latest masters I downloaded as zip files from GitHub. Compiled successfully with a few warnings. Trying to figure out why the executable compiles as "pioneer-debug" as I'm assuming that it running in 'debug mode' is causing performance issues. I searched the forum before creating this topic and only found one relevant comment to what i'm talking about and it was from 2015 -
Re: Pioneer Performance
Post by nick » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 pm

Any luck with the optimisations? (the version I'm working on for the JSON save/load runs at 3 frames per second).
The game also takes about 15 minutes to start (spends ages at "evolution of the universe: 8.2 billion years") - not sure if this is due to running in 'debug' mode?
What he's saying about spending ages at 8.2 billion years, I also spent 'ages' there, relatively anyway compared to when i load up the precompiled october 2017 version. I imagine the 5 seconds I had to wait versus his ages is simply the difference in hardware over the last 3 years. This comment along with the 'debug mode' part made me think we were experiencing the same issue. Love this game, appreciate any help in advance.
impaktor

Re: Compiling Question

Post by impaktor »

Welcome to the forum!

1. check COMPILING.txt and make sure you've pre-built the 3D models, that will speed up start up time a lot

2. I can't answer windows specific questions, but I've heard that when building debug in MS Visual Studio it is very slow indeed.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I've never built using msbuild but yes it appears to be doing a debug build.

A quick bit of Goolging shows that you probably want the command line to be something like:
MSBuild yourproject.sln /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=x64
So that it will do a 64-bit Release build.

Or just use the free (Community) version of VS2017
MadArkael

Post by MadArkael »

impaktor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:29 am Welcome to the forum!

1. check COMPILING.txt and make sure you've pre-built the 3D models, that will speed up start up time a lot

2. I can't answer windows specific questions, but I've heard that when building debug in MS Visual Studio it is very slow indeed.
Thank you, :). As Fluffy has replied, I was stating the performance of the game actually running post compile. The compile was actually pretty fast.
FluffyFreak wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:15 am I've never built using msbuild but yes it appears to be doing a debug build.

A quick bit of Goolging shows that you probably want the command line to be something like:
MSBuild yourproject.sln /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=x64
So that it will do a 64-bit Release build.

Or just use the free (Community) version of VS2017
Thanks for the prompt reply :) I didnt even think to check to see if it was an issue with my command with msbuild lol. I was busy searching for pioneer keywords. Thanks a bunch.