Hardware adventure: Navigational questions

kennworl

Hardware adventure: Navigational questions

Post by kennworl »

Hi all.

Still working on my hardware console, using a 20x4 LCD display to do the frame of reference data (altitude, approach speed, relative speed, etc.)

So test playing, I jumped into the Sirius system and all of a sudden I had no frame of reference.

Q1, how close to a celestial body do you have to be to pick up a frame of reference. I had assumed you would always have one as you are never in interstellar space. At the very least I would have thought you would pick up the biggest star in the system if you don't pick up anything else.

Q2, if you don't have a frame of reference, how do you calculate heading, pitch, and roll values which are still there on the reticule? They must be relative to something otherwise they are meaningless, but I don't have any kind of target at all when I first jump in.
nozmajner

Re: Navigational questions

Post by nozmajner »

You should have one at any given time. After jumping it should be the star.
kennworl

Re: Navigational questions

Post by kennworl »

I would have thought so, yes. But if I start a new game in London, jump straight to Sirius, and bingo, no frame of ref. Assume it's abug and will check the issue list. For the record, it does this every time with the standard 27 Aug build.