Something about hyperspace

impaktor

Re: Something about hyperspace

Post by impaktor »

One question is, would it be annoying?
Also, how many times it would happen at all?
Very rare, I think, so wouldn't be annoying.
kennworl

Post by kennworl »

There is a nice effect in star wars where the ships come out of hyperspace into the vicinity of planets and other space bodies, and before you slow down completely you see these thing come at you with unholy speed. It's a very cool look, but two things leap out at me. It breaks physics in a large way, though you could explain it as an after-effect of the hyperspace exit cloud. The other thing is that you exit hyperspace light minutes away from everything, so there would be nothing in visual range. Oh well.....
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Actually it should be a reversed effect for stuff coming at c+: since the light from it is lagging behind, you would see it appearing out of nowhere and then an image of it flying away fast. Which would be a quite neat effect I think.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

you would see it appearing out of nowhere and then an image of it flying away fast
Funny, I've never thought of that.

In Homeworld, they're sort of "printed" into space. That implies some very not c+ or worm hole mechanics, but some kind of star trek beam transport for the whole ship. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_WpcCCnE8Y