Something about hyperspace

WKFO

Something about hyperspace

Post by WKFO »

This isn't a feature that seriously affects gameplay but I really like it.

I saw this feature in X-Wing and Elite Dangerous... Starships turn towards their target before engaging hyperspace. Can't we implement such feature? Like add another "if" in the code to check if the player is aligned with the target within reasonable amounts of rotational deviation? Also note, this feature would also require us to write another part of code to check if there is something between the hyperspace target and the player ship.

And another question, does the hyperspace work like a wormhole or an alcubierrie drive? (Just theory.)

By the way, we can also make the hyperdrive charging SFX a bit louder (just a bit, not too disturbing). I noticed there is one in the files but I can't really hear it ingame.

EDIT: Also we can create a UI component to show how much fuel will be used for jump. (How many tonnes of H2 or military fuel)
Last edited by WKFO on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nozmajner

Re: Something about hyperspace

Post by nozmajner »

I don't think we had anything about the hyperdrive operating principle fiction side.
Fluffyfreak thinked about showing the actual position of the jump target, and even generating real star fields based on galaxy data, but it wasn't easy to do if I remember correctly.

Showing it correctly would be nice, but not randomly. From the sector map you can get your bearings relatively well, so if you selected a star, then another in the same direction, the randomness would be obvious for example.
I don't think auto-aligning the ship is a good idea. The autopilot does too many things instead of the player already. Which will hopefully change with the new HUD, if people are willing to learn a bit. (I hope they will, It's really easy to navigate with the new reticule data)

For the SFX, you could try raising the volume in the audio file. Audacity can do that I think.
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

Yeah, you are right about auto-rotating and randomization. I never liked "my" idea of randomization anyway.
Also we can create a UI component to show how much fuel will bu used for jump. If it exists already, I don't know about it :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Jump fule display doesn't yet exist, but it's a good idea
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

hi WKFO
About IRC; we pop in and out at different times. Usually you can find impaktor, laarmen or ecraven online though.
Nozmajner is often there and I pop in from time to time.

Andy
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Also we can create a UI component to show how much fuel will bu used for jump.
Don't we have that in the sector map, which is where you set your jump target, and where it matters? Or does it only show consumption if jumping current max distance? Been a while since I played now.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

WKFO wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:30 pm I saw this feature in X-Wing and Elite Dangerous... Starships turn towards their target before engaging hyperspace. Can't we implement such feature? Like add another "if" in the code to check if the player is aligned with the target within reasonable amounts of rotational deviation? Also note, this feature would also require us to write another part of code to check if there is something between the hyperspace target and the player ship.
Yes I'd like that, it would be good if planets/stars/etc in your way also blocked your jump.

This part probably isn't too hard, I think I get bogged down on silly (but extremely complex) details at times.
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

I may have copied this idea entirely from Elite Dangerous but I think it should be done:
What about blocking the hyperspace when the landing gear is down? We will check if the gear is down (I don't know how to do that) and we will change the hyperdrive status to HYPERDRIVE_SAFETY_LOCKDOWN. And perhaps we can even show a warning message instead of the hyperspace countdown.

Hyperspacing with gear down is like sailing full ahead with an anchored ship. I am no expert on FTL drives of course :)
I often forgot my gear down while cruising or up while landing.

Whenever we request landing, the game will check if the player's landing gear is down and if it is down, it will say the typical "Permission granted, move to landing pad <number>.

But if the landing gear is up, it should say "Permission granted. Move to landing pad <number>; check landing gear." reminding silly pilots like me about the landing gear. Real ATC's sometimes do remind pilots about the landing gear.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Also note, this feature would also require us to write another part of code to check if there is something between the hyperspace target and the player ship.
Yes I'd like that, it would be good if planets/stars/etc in your way also blocked your jump.
Turning the ship might be neat, and add "feeling" as in "now we're really getting readdy to blast off", but involving things in-between I don't see the reason for. It's (probably?) not like you're travelling in a linear fashion in real space, but in hyper/super/sub/witch-space, or through some worm hole, or what have you, so a star in the way aught not change your jump.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

One thin in favor of things blocking your hyperspace jump is that you need to navigate around it sometimes. Which could add a bit of a game-play to spaceflight. One question is, would it be annoying?
Also, how many times it would happen at all? Quite much less for orbitals I think, compared to ground bases, which might also be a choice for the player. Do I want to bother with landing (to a better stocked ground base), or should I just go for the orbital with less amenities, but less chance for blocking my HS target?