Art style guide - draft

nozmajner

Art style guide - draft

Post by nozmajner »

I think I'm starting to feel the style of the game. I was doing some modeling and sketching and such specifically to explore get that feel, and I think I can properly start to work on a common coherent style guide for the game.
I'm aiming to keep and extend as much content as possible and add to them meaningfully. There are some craft I'd like to propose for a cut (the Kanara mostly, I think that ship doesn't really make much sense, but I will start a thread to discuss that it should go or stay. I've already proposed a replacement on IRC).

Anyway, in the spirit of Release Early - Release Often, here's the beggining of first draft of the guide.
It's admittedly very vague right now, but I think it should be discussed properly and early.
I will update it regurarly.
Zordey

Re: Art style guide - draft

Post by Zordey »

Had a quick skim read and it looks good. I agree with the "main ship size" recommendations.

I had started modeling the "large" ship in one of your sketches (I was making in just slightly shy of 100x100x20) and made a quick estimation of mass and a Class 9 hyperdrive would only take it around 1LY which is pointless. Pioneer would need to add larger hyperdrives before ships close to this size were realistically usable.

Im not a great fan of the Kanara myself but a lot of people seem to want a small, fast, nimble fighter style craft.
Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

I think I'm starting to feel the style of the game. I was doing some modeling and sketching and such specifically to explore get that feel, and I think I can properly start to work on a common coherent style guide for the game.
This will be the truth. When we know the game, we can always think of other alternatives that will make even more easier for us.
Ray

Post by Ray »

"... When coming up with a ship, you should consider some points first. ..."

Very detailed. BTW crew size is also a significant variable for ship design.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I've put this on the wiki, so it's more visible. Any discussion about it should be here, so it doesn't scatters.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Zordey

Post by Zordey »

Good work Nozmajner.

Just thinking out loud really, but another good guide would be how to use the 3d printing module in blender.

Maybe all ships should have a internal blueprint similar to the couple of images in there (although that would be another guide how to do that...)?