Proper "real" stars in pioneer?

FluffyFreak

Re: Proper "real" stars in pioneer?

Post by FluffyFreak »

Most everything else is in C++ but if someone wants to write it in brainfuck that's fine with me!

If we knew how people identify stars belonging to a single system then we should be able to automate that as part of the program.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Actually, #1426, which was never merged, has a python-script for parsing data (from a csv-file of 120,000 lines), and adds +3000 stars to each of named_stars.lua, bright_stars.lua, and local_stars.lua. That issue might be a good starting point, as it also points out some relevant problems.
Chalito

Post by Chalito »

So this would be like mixing Celestia with Pioneer ? That would be nice! :)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Yes, we have it already but the people who originally got that data into the game either aren't involved or just aren't as involved anymore.

In the last few years there's been an explosion in the number of planets found around other stars, and of the number of planet types too with mini-Neptunes, hot-Jupiters, super-Earths etc that the game doesn't really support yet.

Just updating the known stars information would be good, trying to merge different catalogues, or to just pick the "best" (for some criteria) of them, would be a good start.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I was reading up about something unrelated and encountered this page on galaxy rendering.

That's cool and everything but it also led me to this GitHub page with a library containing ~200,000 stars, this information includes each stars position in Cartesian coordinates :)
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

What a great find! So it's based on the Hipparcos, Yale Bright Star Catalog, and Gliese/Jahreiss Catalog, it seems.

There are a lot of different identification/catalogue indices for each star. robn said (a long time ago) that some players enjoy (the knowledge of) being able to search actual star catalogue names. Would one want to have like a special prefix for that. So a search starting with "HP:" searches on Hipparcos index?

So that guy adds some kind of "depth of field" shader effect to blur out the background stars? Is this something that we want to do for pioneer?

I did try playing around with the THREE.js stuff a few weeks ago when I read two shader tutorials, but my computer (the infernal laptop from prehistoric times) goes bananas over just the simplest hello world, and shaders aren't my main interest so I dropped that endeavour quite willingly.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

https://science.slashdot.org/story/18/0 ... ver-online

yea-yea, I know "who reads slashdot these days". I do. Deal with it!
Tichy

Post by Tichy »

Ehi! I read slashdot, and I was about to post the same link :D
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Wow nice, not read slashdot in years either :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

The HYG-Database maintainers finally answered the issue I made about the license (Which it turns out was on the about page of their website. Not that handy). They have put it on their github readme now, it's CC BY-SA 2.5.