Question about docking

nozmajner

Question about docking

Post by nozmajner »

I searched the tracker, and I can't find too much information about docking. How external docking work? Large ships park near the station, or is there some kind of docking clamp? If just parking, then is there any plan about a clamp based docking? Like:
I'm asking so I know if there should be any visible docking clamp on future ship. (I think those look good, and another opportunity for detail that makes sense.) Both Mola and Pumpkinseed has one, but only on the texture, behind a door. I'm right now working on some sketches, and I have a transport from the same manufacturer, and I'd like to include a more elaborate docking ring on the nose:
FluffyFreak

Re: Question about docking

Post by FluffyFreak »

I like the look of that ship :) There's something almost... FireFly (TV series) about it too.

Docking; there's nothing at the moment that would support it, mostly because thus far all of the stations are big things that you enter.
For very large ships to do external docking then you don't have to do anything special they just move to a start position and then are oriented into the docking position just like anything else.
All you have to do is set the minimum and maximum ships size parameters for each bay for that to work.

There is still a lot of work to with docking though. We don't have ship to ship docking working yet for example, and that's something that would be very cool for a lot of different reasons.
Gleedaniel13

Re: Question about docking

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

I think docking will depend on the size and position of the port. Also, the capacity should be consider.