Art inspiration album

impaktor

Re: Art inspiration album

Post by impaktor »

Maybe difficult to seperate nostaligia from art, but I like the ship from Protostar:

Some animation when it docks with the mother ship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OK_uSaXyc&t=3m55s
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I had never heard of that game, I just checked out a video on youtube, there's some really nice ideas in there and the art is very nice too
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Protostar was made by the team who did Star Control 2 I think. Another game I must play. But Protostar was great fun, and hiring and interacting with your crew was important for the progress of the mission/game story.

Here's something I read about at BBC:
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I really like these kind of fuselages. They have very nice proportions in my opinion. (Although I noticed that I like robustness in technology).
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Great link. I've actually been to that site before, but never read that article in its entirety.

Some selected quotes from your link:

Imagine the bounding/perspective box in your head and draw the closest edges and details first so the overlaps work out. Stick to a theme (square, pointy, curved). The more themes you mix and the more stuff you tack on... the less identity the design has, I feel. Two large piles of junk don't have as much identity as maybe 3 pieces of junk from each pile stuck together.

It can be a risky endeavor to go for l/r asymmetry, and I think it's because the human mind is used to the top/bottom, back/front looking different on humans. Our minds are instinctively opposed to l/r asymmetry so a designer probably needs some kind of special justification for it, or time to let it grow on the viewer. If you go for it, you have to think carefully about which elements that you offset from the center, escpecially where the engines and recoil-guns go (if any). Sometimes even a hint of imbalance can be enough to annoy.

A ship that's just shape-play is not that interesting. It needs... a thing... some quirk, some features.

He has many interesting links on his site, X-com, Master of Orion, Star Control 2, Amiga stuff, Frontier: Elite II paper models,etc.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Also checkout ... well, everything by Sparth.

Be bold, don't worry about having detail over every inch of the surface, save it for a few places where it matters.

Excellent tail-sitter on launchpad.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

These are some very good material.
I did knew Sparth, and I fully agree with the thing both these guys saying about using detail meaningfully. That's where I'm aiming too.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

Sparth's work is amazing! I have never seen that before, one of those images seems to have a ship that is very similar to one in Pioneer;
http://37.media.tumblr.com/e6b067a013d9 ... 1_1280.jpg

Wonderful stuff to look at.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

PInterest, although it is generally the dire end of hell, does have some interesting conglomerations of found artwork.