Triple Monitor problem

kmw

Triple Monitor problem

Post by kmw »

Hi,
I've just installed Pioneer and it looks really good.

I just wanted to report a viewing problem on the commodities screen.
It's only minor, but it causes major problems when buying or selling goods.

I have three monitors running in Eyefinity, and when I go to the commodities screen, the price column is precisely behind the bezel i.e between monitors two and three, so there is no way to see the prices.

I have tried in 5760 x 1080, 5980 x 1080, 4984 x 900 and 4800 x 900, but I am unable to find a resolution that shifts the prices enough to read them lol.

If the price column could be moved to the right, closer to the stock column, it would then appear on the third monitor and be readable.

As it is, I am unable to play the game as I cannot buy or sell anything :)

Anyway, thanks for reading this, hope it can be adjusted at some point as I'd like to give this game a go :)
TheBob

Re: Triple Monitor problem

Post by TheBob »

I don't quite get that... with multiple monitor setups, the image should just continue on the next screen. There shouldn't be any pixels missing in between monitors!
robn

Post by robn »

I assume that's some sort of calibration problem.

But there's not going to be any kind of specific support for things like desktop stretching or whatever it is (I'm not actually familiar with Eyefinity, only a tiny bit that I've read about it). The UI right now pretty much assumes 4:3, with "normal" widescreen just barely looking ok. The new UI should be a bit better, but its still going to be assuming different UI elements are fairly "near" each other, I think.

I do want to do true support for multiple monitors (ie where the game actually knows that you have more than one and deliberately puts different things on it), but that's going to have to wait until we move to SDL2, which has to wait for the new UI to be plumbed through everywhere (the old UI really can't work with it - input model is completely different). And that's assuming we have a good sense of what we want to put on multiple monitors (and I know you can all think of ideas. So can I. Its probably a bit premature to seriously talk about it).
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

@kmw,
So you actually lose some of the image to account for the bezels?
I guess that's done so that the images is physically continuous rather than being pixel-continuous across all of the screens?

Interesting, I didn't know it did that.

Either way I don't know what can be done in Pioneer right now to support it, Robn has been working on the new UI but it's not replaced that or some other screens yet.
kmw

Post by kmw »

No, let me try and explain again.
My monitor bezel is about 1.5cm across. It just happens to be right on top of the prices column. The picture is setup correctly, so I do not want to adjust it.
I have tried several resolutions but it does not move the text enough to be able to read it. I guess everyone who tried to play this game with 3 monitors would discover the same problem.
It is just bad luck that the prices column is exactly under the bezel. So I was simply asking, is it possible just to move the prices column about three digits to the right, i.e. closer to the stocks column. Then all text would be visible, and it would not affect the view in single monitor.
I am not asking for specific multiple monitor support, it is pretty good already, the trouble is simply that I cannot play the game at all if I can not see the prices column - it prevents me from trading :)
Never mind, I just thought I would ask, thanks anyway
kmw

Post by kmw »

FluffyFreak wrote:@kmw,
So you actually lose some of the image to account for the bezels?
I guess that's done so that the images is physically continuous rather than being pixel-continuous across all of the screens?

Interesting, I didn't know it did that.

Either way I don't know what can be done in Pioneer right now to support it, Robn has been working on the new UI but it's not replaced that or some other screens yet.
Yes that's right, I 'lose' some of the scene as it is behind the bezel - you do not have to lose it, you can adjust it so that it continues from the next monitor if you want, and some like it that way, but for me it loses the proper proportion of the view. It sounds bad, losing some of the scene behind the bezel, but in fact, your mind very quickly ignores it, it's just like looking out of a lead glass window, you don't worry about the strips of lead, you just see right past it.

That is, until an important piece of info is behind it, like the prices column !
robn

Post by robn »

The thing is, we could move it, but then later we might put something else there that you can't see. Or it might be invisible for someone else with a different configuration to yours. So there's no way for us to solve the problem. We need to assume the entire screen is visible.

Or put another way, you chose to do something weird, you have to live with it.

Once everything is on the new UI you'll be able to edit UI layout details yourself to taste. I can't really offer much more than that.
kmw

Post by kmw »

I understand thanks, (but I must say I did NOT 'choose to do something weird', my setup is a typical eyefinity setup, with normal compensation for the bezel - it works fine for all my racing/driving sims, just unlucky with this one).