OSX Build Script

eloquentmess

OSX Build Script

Post by eloquentmess »

I have been working on a script to automatically update, build and bundle a Pioneer app for OSX. I will post information and discuss this here.

HOORAY! The official Mac build is available on the website! (Mac OSX v10.9.4)

To Do:
  • Detect errors in the compilation step and halt the script if the build fails.
  • Integrate automatic link updates.
Currently Done:
  • Automatically upload to SourceForge when build complete.
  • Automatically update the data directory when building a new app bundle.
  • Change the release to have the git release # instead of a timestamp.
  • Detect OS version and update the app bundle's information to reflect this.
  • Successfully tested the app bundle on another system. (10.9.4, like the system it was compiled for.)
  • Update local copy of repository.
  • Compile new version.
  • Update pre-existing app bundle.
  • Dynamically link and include required libraries.
  • Compress the app bundle into a time-stamped .zip file.
  • Added a measure to prevent wasted effort. It doesn't rebuild if the repository was already up-to-date, unless you tell it to.
If you are able to test the release, please report back with your OS version and whether or not the bundle worked for you.
Last edited by eloquentmess on Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:36 am, edited 24 times in total.
eloquentmess

Re: OSX Build Script

Post by eloquentmess »

I updated the script to enable automatic uploads to AnonFiles.com. I chose them because their API was the easiest to implement from all that I'd seen recently.

Next, I'm going to break the source code on my side, try to compile, and teach the script to detect errors in the compilation step.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Myabe the script is something we should have in the pioneer/scripts folder?
eloquentmess

Post by eloquentmess »

I'll prepare it for release when I have time. I'm working on this in-between classes. But I'm going to have to write a tutorial as well, so that people know how to get it up and running. It requires certain dependencies on the system, and it doesn't build everything from scratch like I want it to. Right now it's just a hacked-together proof-of-concept.

However, if we want to get this under revision control, I'd be happy to put it in Git, if I had the capability. I considered doing it as a stand-alone project. Could you import my project into your project? I don't know how dynamic Git can get.
eloquentmess

Post by eloquentmess »

Also, it's designed to run from the Pioneer root directory, wherever you've got the git repository stored on your computer. That way it can access the things it needs, the way it needs them. I might could design it to run from the scripts directory. Shouldn't be terribly hard but it's not high on my to-do list yet.
eloquentmess

Post by eloquentmess »

Is there any way I can get a link on the pioneerspacesim.net page? I would love to be able to implement an automatic link update script so that when I finish a build and upload it, the link is automatically updated on the website.

I want other OSX users to be able to find this build without having to find the forums first. Is this something that I can do?
robn

Post by robn »

I'll give you access to the sourceforge site to upload it. If you put it in the right place with the right filename, then the script that updates the website will automatically pick it up and sort the links out.

Set up a sourceforge account and let me know the name and we'll go from there. Ping me on IRC the next time you're around and we can work it all out there.
eloquentmess

Post by eloquentmess »

My sourceforge account name is eloquentmess.

I would like to be able to automatically upload the file (with the appropriate filename and all) to the sourceforge site. As in, make this upload part of the script. Can sourceforge do that?
mack

Post by mack »

Thank you for providing an OSX release!

So far it plays well on my 2014 MacBook Air.

I will let you know if I find any problems.

Edit: forgot to add OSX version 10.9.4
Last edited by mack on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mack

Post by mack »

Just another quick thank you.

Ive yet to find any problems apart from my MacBook air gets very hot with all the processing.