HUD and UI ideas - mockups

nozmajner

Re: HUD and UI ideas - mockups

Post by nozmajner »

Some mockup work for the sector map. (Sorry, can't embed them right now)
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Cool looking stuff! I really like the idea of the known imports/exports being visible right on the map. That's much more convenient.

Note a couple misspellings -- one typo "capilot" instead of "capitol" -- but it should be "capital" ("capitol" is used for a specific building -- not a city or in this case a planet). The other is an "it's" that should be "its" -- possessive pronouns never have an apostrophe, e.g. hers, theirs, ours, yours, its.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

The capitol part is just on the mockup, the it'sits is from the sys description from the game, hope I'm not the culprit for that, I always mix it up.
VivienneA

Post by VivienneA »

This might have be the case or I might have not noticed.

1) Could there be a fuel indicator be shown on the main screen in cockpit view?
2) Could there be a text indicator on current target near to where the cockpit pit are? (It might be there)

I'm not sure of the easiest way to remove a target. Clearing out target. A example, let's say I want to go to point B and initiate auto-pilot. If I want to cancel it midway. I want to be able to disable auto-pilot and clear the target.

Just nitpicks. That I notice or maybe I haven't figured it out yet.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

You mean fuel for flight? The gauge and bottom text on the left side of the reticule is that. The bar is your deltaV, And there's a numerical display (km/s), and a % display. No % gauge, because that is not that useful in flight, since 50% fuel for example means more than 50% deltaV for example.
If you mean hyperdrive fuel, there's none, but it would be nice to have, but current range might be more useful than tonnes.
Maybe there could be a compact nav window showing the closest couple of stars and even a search box too.

The target information is on the right side of the reticule, including its name. There's only a bracket on the target itself, no text, to avoid clutter.

The only way to deselect a target is to click on it again. Which is not ideal for sure. It would be useful to have a clear target button. But: it needs to be two, for nav target and combat target.
clausimu

Post by clausimu »

Is the plan to remove the at-a-glance system overview (individual planet/asteroid/space station icons)? In your mockup you just show the map of stars and system description.

I really like the bookmark and economy tab ideas!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

No, we want that to stay. Either/or as a tree view of the system, and a more elaborate overview screen.
clausimu

Post by clausimu »

That's good. I always liked the system overview to get a "feel" for the system.
VivienneA

Post by VivienneA »

Okay.

A compact window would be nice somehow with the additional information.

Also some way to clear a navigation target and combat target. If for example hyperdrive is deactivated to a target hyperdrive is shutdown and the target is clear. Same them is hyperdrive isn't active but a target is set, it's clear. Basically all relevant things are shutdown are cleared.

I guess the player would have to turn and go full reverse if they are in hyperdrive.

Thats the only nitpick and the stars thing I mentioned in IRC. I so going to do a video to show what I mean.

Vivienne
nozmajner wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:15 am You mean fuel for flight? The gauge and bottom text on the left side of the reticule is that. The bar is your deltaV, And there's a numerical display (km/s), and a % display. No % gauge, because that is not that useful in flight, since 50% fuel for example means more than 50% deltaV for example.
If you mean hyperdrive fuel, there's none, but it would be nice to have, but current range might be more useful than tonnes.
Maybe there could be a compact nav window showing the closest couple of stars and even a search box too.

The target information is on the right side of the reticule, including its name. There's only a bracket on the target itself, no text, to avoid clutter.

The only way to deselect a target is to click on it again. Which is not ideal for sure. It would be useful to have a clear target button. But: it needs to be two, for nav target and combat target.
BitVictim

Post by BitVictim »

An option to lock camera to target on the HUD would be most welcome, so when flying in autopilot we don't need to keep switching camera views to look at where we are going