Skyboxes

FluffyFreak

Re: Skyboxes

Post by FluffyFreak »

walterar wrote:I would like to avoid having to do this:]
You don't need to do that walterar, you just need to find the code that sets those flags and change it from `DRAW_SKYBOX` to `DRAW_SKYBOX | DRAW_STARS`, yes just change `Game.cpp` line 544 from

Code: Select all

m_space->GetBackground()->SetDrawFlags( Background::Container::DRAW_SKYBOX );
to

Code: Select all

m_space->GetBackground()->SetDrawFlags( Background::Container::DRAW_SKYBOX | Background::Container::DRAW_STARS);
It should just work like that. Or you can wait until we change it back.
I don't want the skybox to "go away", I think it can do a much better job of rendering the Milkyway or other backgrounds than our previous method, but I guess point-stars can come back as a default.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

@Walterar you have try to add stars layer to yours skybox ?

Not to many just ~200 point or less in 1024x1024 texture is enought
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Tlking about 1024. Do you think it's enough to have an 1024* skybox, or we can push it up to 2048? Or is that too much?
walterar

Post by walterar »

You've seen a starry sky on a summer night? You've seen the stars twinkle?

Well, you can see those (10000?) Stars twinkling in Pioneer. That can not be achieved with only SkyBox.
walterar

Post by walterar »

@Nyankosensei On the contrary, delete all the layers of stars and leave only the haze.

"Galactic haze" in SkyBox of 512x512 , covering little parts of the 10000 twinkling stars , is the sky for spend hours playing.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

How about this one?
It's 2048 right now, I wanted to see, how it looks. I can make a 1024* sized one quickly if you like it.
Here's a starless version, still 2048, so @Fluffyfreak, you can play around with those points. :)
walterar

Post by walterar »

@FluffyFreak
What I mean is that the player can change that without touching the code and compile. Why not allow this in the user settings menu?
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

walterar wrote:@FluffyFreak
What I mean is that the player can change that without touching the code and compile. Why not allow this in the user settings menu?
Because, as I've said several times now, this was only supposed to be a temporary step. Skyboxes generated in-game when you hyperspace into a new star system are my eventual goal.
The reason I've stopped for now i because it took a month or two to get the initial code merged into the game, so I switched to doing something else for a while.
walterar

Post by walterar »

@FluffyFreak

I also told you often I can not bear to see how "disappear" things that work well, with the promise of something better that never comes.

SkyBox was an excellent effect, if mixed with stars, not a replacement. I doubt that "twinkle" the stars in heaven "painted".

The background of stars, which are no longer viewed, provides an irreplaceable illusion of "high definition" even with SkyBoxs of 521x512
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

walterar wrote:@FluffyFreak

I also told you often I can not bear to see how "disappear" things that work well, with the promise of something better that never comes.

SkyBox was an excellent effect, if mixed with stars, not a replacement. I doubt that "twinkle" the stars in heaven "painted".

The background of stars, which are no longer viewed, provides an irreplaceable illusion of "high definition" even with SkyBoxs of 521x512
Even though no-one, including you, thought to bring this up during it's month long review process?

Look don't have a go at me for this, this is just development, it's not intentional when something doesn't go as planned and it's quite a simple change to fix for now but twinkly stars could be done in the atmosphere shader :(