gameplay idea (FPS)

scottviger

gameplay idea (FPS)

Post by scottviger »

hello all,
my idea is to add a fps interface (cube 2, quake like) to see the planet and pick some stuff
nozmajner

Re: gameplay idea (FPS)

Post by nozmajner »

Hi

Sorry, but it's not gonna happen.
Well, Pioneer is open source, so I don't think any of us would turn away somebody who wants to implement it and has the knowledge, time, intention and willpower to do it, but don't count on that happening.
On the other hand, there isn't anything like that in the scope of the game for good reason. Implementing an FPS feature is very complicated, and would be a lot of grunt work, even to do it badly, 100x more so if you want to do it properly.
Same goes for the content needed to be created to make it look even palatable. (I know I don't want to work on that part).
True, there are engines like cube already available, but even then I'm sure it's not as trivial to just plug it into our engine and FPS away.
laarmen

Post by laarmen »

nozmajner wrote: Well, Pioneer is open source, so I don't think any of us would turn away somebody who wants to implement it and has the knowledge, time, intention and willpower to do it, but don't count on that happening.
On the other hand, there isn't anything like that in the scope of the game for good reason. Implementing an FPS feature is very complicated, and would be a lot of grunt work, even to do it badly, 100x more so if you want to do it properly.
Actually, the last part means that I would probably turn away the somebody, unless it is actually not bad (which is improbable). We already have much to do in term of gameplay !
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Yeah, I was referring to the fairy tale dream version of the thing, where everything needed for it is in place, and the given talented coder doesn't have anything more meaningful to work on. :)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Just to quickly chip in to this.

A few years ago zugz (one of our lapsed contributors) did a hack that let you move away from the ship and across the planets surface in a giant sphere - based on the Alpha 19 codebase so more than 3 years out of date now. Just as a hack and proof of concept.
Doing it properly would take a bit more work, going further and doing full ground following FPS style control would be even more work.

Then once you've done all that work you'd notice that our terrain only really looks good from space / high-altitude. It looks pretty rubbish in most places once you've landed on the ground itself.

I wouldn't stop anyone from adding it, and I'd certainly help out with advice, information and minor code support etc but I'm not particularly interested in it at the moment myself.

If you have the ability to do the code yourself then you're free to take the code and implement it, we might accept the feature in Pioneer by the time it's done - you'll have plenty of time to convince people of it's merit during development, or you could fork the project and create something of your own like Genesia, Scout+ or Paragon all have.

Thanks,

Andy