Factions - writing and background discussion

Tichy

Re: Factions - writing and background discussion

Post by Tichy »

Since we're talking about... how about a faction like this: http://pioneerspacesim.net/forum/viewto ... t=85&p=993 ? (I just remembered this thread, reading a discussion on the oolite forum: http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16509)

Could we have, in the far future, a successful society built by space anarchists (with the correct definition of anarchy, not the "media version" of it)? (please, please, please) :D
robn

Post by robn »

Don't feel constrained by the way the old code works. It can be changed.
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

I was thinking about how a police action might occur in an anarchy system. I don't think there would be a dedicated police force with their own ships. Instead you'd have ships piloted by rugged individualists who would come after you if you offended them in some way, each by its own volition. The offence might only apply in the spaceport it occured. For example, if you fired on a spaceport the other ports in the system may not care. Actually if you accidently press the spacebar while near a spaceport nobody would mind unless you hit something. There wouldn't be formal fines but people might accept bribes or compensation.
Tichy

Post by Tichy »

I can think some scenarios:
1) everyone can react in self defense or to defend the community. (everyone can act as police)
2) there could be some individuals that are temporary delegated to the defense. not a stable police, but people that take that role for a brief amount of time or if there are some "special circumstances" ;) (can look like a "normal" police, but without visible signs or uniforms)
3) the defense system is automated
4) all of the above

IMO, they would try to not kill the attacker, thet'll try make him stop or go away.

A nice example could be the way that the Culture in Iain Banks interact with other civilizations. See Contact and Special Circumstances: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cultu ... ilizations
bszlrd

Post by bszlrd »

I've made some changes to the fiction area of the wiki in order to clean it up and to have a good base for structure. I've created a page for factions and other entities, where we can link the actual factions and such. I've moved the link for the Story article into it.
I've created the basis article for SolFed, CIW and Haber (based on what I wrote in the beginning of this topic), and we can expand or change them from here. It's much more friendly and clear this way, instead of having a long article with everything in it.

#2930 for the changes.

I've also updated the factions in the game to match the wiki.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

So slaves are 100% illegal in Haber (and all other factions)?

I think we need one faction that are a bit totalitarian with slaves legal.
bszlrd

Post by bszlrd »

Yes, I made slavery illegal there. Since everybody is an employee, I thought slavery would be odd. You don't want to mess with the monopoly. :D