Font display bug

Navi1982

Font display bug

Post by Navi1982 »

Hello everyone!
I'm new here, but old with Pioneer. Just keep eyes on development of the game. Sometimes nostalgic for the old game - Frontier Elite - and play Pioneer. But recently I had time to experimenting with the font for this game. Initially, I began to select from ready-fonts. Stopped on the "Refrigerator" font family. But two things I did not like: the lack of Cyrillic character set (yes, I speak Russian, and Romanian too) and later I thought about the legal use because it requires a license.

And so, I began to develop a font specifically for the game. Tried to combine the style of the old Elite's and the readability of the font "Refrigerator". Font is not finished completely, but the basic Latin and Cyrillic character sets is implemented. Several times I was trying to contact the developer of the Pioneer, but don `t know how to do it.

However, since the March series of updates I found glitches with display fonts and have decided to write in this topic. The bug is that the bottom 3-4 rows of pixels do not display correctly, with interference. Checked with the original fonts - the same. Bug somewhere in the game. See the screenshot.
P.S.> I hope to contribute for the game of my dreams :)
robn

Re: Font display bug

Post by robn »

Navi1982 wrote:However, since the March series of updates I found glitches with display fonts and have decided to write in this topic. The bug is that the bottom 3-4 rows of pixels do not display correctly, with interference. Checked with the original fonts - the same. Bug somewhere in the game.
I assume by "original fonts" you mean the ones you based your modifications on, and not Pioneer's core fonts? Got a link to those fonts so I can test and see what data is coming out of them?
Navi1982

Post by Navi1982 »

robn wrote: I assume by "original fonts" you mean the ones you based your modifications on, and not Pioneer's core fonts? Got a link to those fonts so I can test and see what data is coming out of them?
As I said above, this is not a problem font. I try to check all what I know about before state error. As I understand it, since March there is a different algorithm for text output - and that's where to look next. Since February (think it was v.20140209) issue showed perfectly, even with my font. Unfortunately I hastened to remove the old release. (see screenshot)

Link for my font: http://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/960846

I've used English version with original package and fonts:
Last edited by Navi1982 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
robn

Post by robn »

Navi1982 wrote:As I said above, this is not a problem font.
Perhaps not, but I can't reproduce the problem with any font I have here. So either your system is unique/broken, or there's something specific to that font that is causing a problem. Which isn't to say the font is wrong, it might be some case we're not handling,.

Thank's for posting the link, I will try to find time to look this evening.
Navi1982

Re: CJK support

Post by Navi1982 »

Interestingly, this is just my one is going on? But, on the other hand, then I have not changed anything in the system, but to unpack the new version of the game. And unfortunately deleted the February version, therefore I can not show that then everything worked perfectly.

However, I also have a small programming experience (Delphi and Basic) and I about the eye can determine where there is a look for error. It seems that preparing a canvas (buffer for the character), in the loop incorrectly interpreted character width. For example instead this:

Code: Select all

For i=0 to chWidth-1 step 1   ; "chWidth" is width of character (in pixels, for example)
 For j=0 to chHeight-1 step 1   ; "chHeight" is height of character
 GetNextPixelFromBuffer(Buf)   ; some function that incrementaly get next pixel from linear treated memory buffer
 ; ...put pixel in bidimensional treated memory buffer
 Next
Next
could write this:

Code: Select all

For i=0 to chWidth step 1   ; here i will get pixel from other row. !!! "-1" is omited
 For j=0 to chHeight-1 step 1   ; and each row will be shifted by one pixel
 GetNextPixelFromBuffer(Buf)   ; some function that incrementaly get next pixel from linear treated memory buffer
 ; ...put pixel in bidimensional treated memory buffer
 Next
Next
or vice versa, or may be somthing like this.
robn

Post by robn »

As I expected, your font looks fine here, as do the standard fonts.

It might indicate a problem with the Windows build, which I'll test now. Otherwise we're looking at something on your end.
Navi1982

Post by Navi1982 »

Thank you for helping to narrow a search. Sorry to disturb you.
I also began to suspect that others will have normally showing ... But all the same I wonder why I was so showing? Wait what others will say ...
I am using Windows XP SP3 on a CPU-2.6GHz, DDRII 2GB OCZ, NVIDIA-9600GT-512MB, DirectX_v4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c) ...
Navi1982

SOLVED!

Post by Navi1982 »

Problem was solved by updating NVIDIA drivers!
And as I said earlier - I have not installed or removed anything except unpacked a new version of the game (March series).