Suggestions (And found a few bugs) for Pioneer

Marcel

Re: Suggestions (And found a few bugs) for Pioneer

Post by Marcel »

2. I'm a fan of walterar's Scout+ mod. It adds a lot of playability. http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/forum/83-pioneer-mods/
8. There are English alphabet approximations for the languages you mention. Would that be acceptable?
robn

Post by robn »

Regarding a CJK translation, if someone wanted to work with us to get the necessary support into the engine, that would be great. I don't think it has to be that complicated. We'd need to select an appropriate font and we need to make sure we're properly supporting Unicode everywhere. The one major limitation to non-Latin languages is that we're pretty much locked at left-to-right for now - I don't have the experience or the time to do anything different. But if that's acceptable, and there's someone willing to work closely with me on the requirements and testing, then I'm happy to give it a shot.
yuyingchenk

Post by yuyingchenk »

robn wrote:Regarding a CJK translation, if someone wanted to work with us to get the necessary support into the engine, that would be great. I don't think it has to be that complicated. We'd need to select an appropriate font and we need to make sure we're properly supporting Unicode everywhere. The one major limitation to non-Latin languages is that we're pretty much locked at left-to-right for now - I don't have the experience or the time to do anything different. But if that's acceptable, and there's someone willing to work closely with me on the requirements and testing, then I'm happy to give it a shot.
Hello Robn,

Good to hear this. I will firstly raise topic in our local (Chinese) space-game forums, I believe there will be a lot of guys who want to do the translation. Also, I will be one of these guys :) I will let you know if there is any update.

I have an idea to let more people know this great game, especially in Chinese-spoken areas:
I will translate the game information in wiki, translate the version updates, FAQs, or even upload my personal game videos/pictures, etc. And I can post all of the above information in the local forums, certainly, I will also let them know the official website of Pioneer so that they can get more.

Let me know if yo are happy with this :)

BTW, you have mentioned that The one major limitation to non-Latin languages is that we're pretty much locked at left-to-right for now, I do not quite understand. Actually, for 99% Chinese people, the reading habit is from left-to-right, as far as I know.
robn

Post by robn »

yuyingchenk wrote:Let me know if yo are happy with this :)
Very much so! If you're willing to do most of the leg work, I'll be happy to support you with whatever I can.

From our end, I'd suggest that the best way to start would be to request a new translation on the Transifex project and then translate a few strings. I can use them to test support (basically comparing their display in Pioneer with what I see in Transifex) and we can build on that.
BTW, you have mentioned that The one major limitation to non-Latin languages is that we're pretty much locked at left-to-right for now, I do not quite understand. Actually, for 99% Chinese people, the reading habit is from left-to-right, as far as I know.
Good to know. I actually have no idea - I'm rather ignorant of non-Latin writing systems. If its all left-to-right, then that won't be a problem.
yuyingchenk

Post by yuyingchenk »

Good to know. I actually have no idea - I'm rather ignorant of non-Latin writing systems. If its all left-to-right, then that won't be a problem.
Hello Robn,

I have created my account (yuyingchenk) in Transifex project and has just sent the translation request, the target language is Chinese Mandarin :) Once approved, I will start to translate some strings and then we can make some test. As I mentioned about, people in China use Chinese Mandarin and the reading habit is from left-to-right. From what I can see in the Transifex project, I believe I can handle it :)
robn

Post by robn »

Here's a project thread dedicated to CJK support.

Lets continue to discuss this there and leave this thread for your other points :)
yuyingchenk

Post by yuyingchenk »

robn wrote:Here's a project thread dedicated to CJK support.

Lets continue to discuss this there and leave this thread for your other points :)
Hello Robn,

Many thanks for the new thread, and I will post the translation related there.

I will continue to translate and also introduce this great game in our local forums :)
yuyingchenk

Post by yuyingchenk »

It looks like the money cheat is gone in the new version ?

I mean import based console command ...
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I think that:
import('Game').player:SetMoney(9999999999)
should work.
Setting it on the `ship` doesn't anymore.
GunChleoc

Post by GunChleoc »

Right-to-left script is mostly needed for Middle Eastern languages like Arabic and Hebrew http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-left

There is a library to support all the tricky unicode and bidi stuff that might come in handy for this: http://site.icu-project.org/ I lack the skills to get this library running though, so I can't help with the coding.

If you are looking for good alternative fonts, I can recommend http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... tdownloads if you are happy with the SIL license - they are free to use under that license. Using them for testing will be fine in any case.