X-52 Pro HOTAS

For suggesting features that might be useful
Golem

X-52 Pro HOTAS

Post by Golem »

How can I use my X-52 Pro (Stick AND Thruster) in Pioneer Space Sim?
FluffyFreak

Re: X-52 Pro HOTAS

Post by FluffyFreak »

You will have to open the options screen and then configure your joystick in the controls section.

There isn't a default mapping for the X-52 Pro Hotas ( because none of us can afford one!)
Golem

Post by Golem »

Thanks for your answer.

The Pitch, Roll and Yaw behave strangely and I don't know how to implement the X-52 thrust to the engine speed.

If I somehow manage to make these settings I will gladly upload them.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Yes our joystick handling code needs some serious work, I've taken a stab at it a few times but without much luck.

I think that Paragon (based on our engine) recently update their joystick handling code for their 10.5 release so it might be possible to back port it to Pioneer.
Golem

Post by Golem »

I checked Paragon out, same as Pioneer - Stick yes, no Thrust for engine speed.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Thrust is an odd one. For games like Elite:Dangerous / Star Citizen etc they make sense because they're essentially World War II fighters & bombers... in space.
It makes little sense for Pioneer though because if you're thrusting you're accelerating, if you're not then you keep going at the same speed (gravity notwithstanding).
Golem

Post by Golem »

FluffyFreak wrote:Thrust is an odd one. For games like Elite:Dangerous / Star Citizen etc they make sense because they're essentially World War II fighters & bombers... in space.
It makes little sense for Pioneer though because if you're thrusting you're accelerating, if you're not then you keep going at the same speed (gravity notwithstanding).
In my opinion it would also make sense in Pioneer:
1. It's fun! Since I (and other gamers) have the Thruster, I want to use it.
2. In fight it can make sense to rapidly change speed.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Thrust control would make sense as a way to access the thrust limiter in my opinion. And that could also work for the set speed mode in that way too I think. You set the speed, and the thrust lever controls the thrust the engines burn at to achieve that speed.
It's a bit off-topic, but I was thinking about this a while ago. What if the RCS and main thrusters are separated in manual flight? The IJKLUO would only use the RCS blocks, so you can do finer maneuvering on the longitudinal axis too (could be helpful if there will be manual docking in orbitals), and the Enter/shift keys would fire the main and retro engines when you need more force. KSP has something similar

@Golem:
1. Having something in the game because other games have it isn't a good reason. Things should go into a game because they make sense in the context of the given game.
2. It's a bit different in Pioneer, you have the engines at full thrust, so the speed changes are as quick as they can be when you change orientation.
The difference between Pioneer and those games is that Pioneer doesn't impose any arbitrary speed limit, since the flight model is proper newtonian with as few limitations as possible (as far as I know).

Although there could be some limit around stations, but that should be a legislation question, not one about the flight model).
You can even reach lightspeed if you hack yourself enough deltaV. I tried, it took a couple of months to reach it.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

The PR/commit (they do massive feature dumps as a single commit for public releases to comply with GPL) which includes upgraded joysticks is the Alpha 10.5 one.

Searching for "deadzone" on that page shows where most of the changes have occurred. The only tricky part is porting the Lua options page back as they haven't taken a lot of our changes for some time now and things have diverged.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Sadly it's not going to be trivial to port any of the code back, we've both refactored a lot of things in the same areas, but the ideas should be workable if anyone can find the time.